9.11.2008

F You, Viacom. Someone, Someone, is Above This


Okay, I interrupt my irregularly scheduled attempt to write about Sega to inform you that Mark Burnett is getting ready to cast his new reality show -- a ladder competition...

between Rock Band 2 bands.

Hey, I loved Konami's Guitar Freaks when it came out, I still love Dance Dance Revolution, I kinda get Beatmainia. I understand that playing fake instruments with people can be a fuckton of phun. I did it at PAX, even. I played Bass and sang (not close to the microphone, of course -- I just wanted the full Geddy Lee Experience). A guy I thought was Brian Crecente played guitar. It wasn't Brian Crecente, though. That's what he told me, at least. Oh, and the drummer may have been Neil Pert transfered into a small Korean woman's body.
But you know what made it fun? There was real personal interaction, even with strangers, even among a sea of 60,000 other strangers. The zeitgeist of the moment may be Rock Band, but it's PLAYING Rock Band.

The only way this could ever work is if they get elderly public intellectuals on one team; you know, Gore Vidal, John Updike, Robert Silver, William F. Buckl... oh, wait.

I really want to see Gore Vidal try to play Rock Band, now.

Okay, back to different ranting!

[Burnett's 'Band' looking for rockers [Variety, via Game|Life -- photo seems to be from there, too.]

edit: okay, I finally got the damn notifications to work when people comment. I don't know why it took a year, but it did. Expect prompter responses in the future, you lovely few people, you.

No comments: